.
.
.

I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Smartboard Lessons - Rekenreks for Building Math Number Sense K-1

Here is the next set of Smart board lessons created from:  “Number Talks Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies. These lessons include an increasingly popular visual math model, called the “Rekenrek”. 


The Rekenrek is a math rack that provides a visual model to help develop strategic reasoning. It is a powerful manipulative model for young learners. The Rekenrek (developed by mathematics education researchers in the Netherlands) combines the strengths of other manipulatives (e.g., number lines, base-10 blocks, counters, etc.) in one easy to use tool. 

The 30+ daily rekenrek lessons provide multiple opportunities for your students to work with and visualize numbers in a variety of combinations. A work mat has been included in the Smart board attachments for classrooms that do not have actual rekenreks for students to use. Also, at the end of each document is a link to an online supplier of this math tool that I used to purchase my own class set of rekenreks.

All Smart board lessons provide a lesson plan to facilitate direct instruction and follow-up activities, as well as supporting website resources, and activities links in the resource section. In the resource section, you will find links your students can use in the computer lab for follow-up practice.

The next set of lessons that I will upload for you will focus on using Tens-Frames to help children build their visual and mental math skills. Feel free to request more information or send questions. I would be happy to respond.  For anyone who is unable to open Smart Board documents, I will be creating these in power point as soon as I have completed the Smart Board Lessons.









Here is an additional source that can be downloaded as a pdf document:

I will be uploading power point lessons of these same smart board lessons for classrooms that do not have Smart Boards when I have completed them. Again, if you have an questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to contact me.

7 comments:

  1. You are incredible!!!! Thank you so much for sharing these!
    Ms. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,
    Love your blog! You and I have lots of the same math books and routines, but I don't have a SmartBoard yet. I'm getting one soon though so I'll be checking your blog lots for all your great ideas. BTW, I'm your newest follower ! Thanks for sharing this stuff.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these resources! They are perfect for what we are doing in my class right now! I am a new follower!
    What I Learned in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words!!! I've been negligent on posting more of my smartboard documents. I've had lots of changes these last few months so it's time to redirect myself to my first love ~ sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to have found your blog during a number sense search online!
    So happy to be a new follower!
    Can't wait to read your posts!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across these Rekenreck Smartboard lessons. They are fabulous, thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you can use them for your lessons! Thanks for the kind words!!!

    ReplyDelete